Friday, July 15, 2011

Breuer Bench

Inspired a couple of years ago by a blog post (http://www.designsponge.com/2009/07/before-after-martinas-bench-kellys-dining-room.html), I saved 2 cesca chair frames (that had previously busted caning) with the intention of building a bench. They sat in the garden for all that time, and I'm pleased to say have weathered 2 severe winters with barely a patch of rust.We have been in need of extra seating at our garden table, and I knew I wanted to make the bench work there. After pondering the different materials for the seat and back, I remembered we had leftover teak flooring from the living room, and decided this would be an excellent use of it.

So I had T chop me 5 equal pieces of the teak in the longest length we could (forgot how gross the teak smells when you cut it!), and we screwed them into the pre-existing holes in the frames. Because we wanted 3 pieces for the seat, but only had 2 holes where the caned seat frame used to sit, we used 2 smaller pieces of teak to screw the three lengths together.


We already had the teak & the frames, and both were pretty much free, so this project cost us deck screws - about $9.


Voila! A bouncy Cesca bench for two!

No comments:

Post a Comment